Saturday 28 April 2018

Cleaning with Compassion. By Kathryn Shanley

Residential cleaning is more than flitting about with a feather duster and swishing a cloth across a sink to make it sparkle. I’m a writer but recently stepped out of my cozy comfort zone to try my hand at residential cleaning. Writing is a solitary profession and I was missing the comradery of a team. I figured, hey how hard could cleaning really be right? So when I saw the posting for Three Little Birds Residential Cleaning I was intrigued. And after reading owner Sherry Weavers’ inspiration for starting her business and her dedication to her family, staff, and clients, I was hooked.
Impressed by Sherry’s integrity and her commitment to family values, I couldn’t wait to get to my interview. But I was plagued by the feeling of uncontrollable butterflies waging a war in my stomach and complete self-doubt. As a middle-aged woman I thought for sure they’d think I was too old for this job and send me packing. But surprisingly, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Service Manager Sarah and Field Manager Chantelle were friendly but professional and I never once felt out of place. And guess what? I got the job!
Armed with my brushes, 100% natural cleaning products, and a bucket of enthusiasm, I started my new job. My trainer Vicky and the other amazing women I had the privilege of working with taught me that yes, we were cleaning, but more importantly we were making a positive difference in the lives of the people whose homes we cleaned. Always professional, these women tackled cleaning some of the most challenging homes I’ve ever seen and treated the owners with dignity, compassion, and respect.
As my training days continued at Three Little Birds, I knew I was a fish out of water in this job. I didn’t share the dedication nor the expertise it took to pay attention to detail and at the same time get the job done in a timely fashion for the clients. I knew I was rubbish at it, but still, the staff were willing to work with me to make it better and help me succeed at the job.
Cleaning isn’t just a job to these awesome women, but a respectable profession as it should be viewed by all of us. I’ve been on both sides of the fence now as a homeowner having my house cleaned while living in London and as a cleaning tech here in Hamilton. I had no idea just how strenuous residential cleaning could be. Working with my fellow techs was a truly humbling experience.
My dad always said stick to what you know so I’ve returned to my love of writing. Three Little Birds knows residential cleaning. But more importantly, residential cleaning with compassion.